The scholarship and mentorship program addresses the dire shortage of diverse talent in cybersecurity
Reston, VA, September 27, 2023 – FS-ISAC, the member-driven, not-for-profit organisation that advances cybersecurity and resilience in the global financial system, announced the names of the winners of its 2023-24 Women in Cyber Scholarship program. Aside from financial support, winners receive mentorship from FS-ISAC member firms as well as other opportunities to help them begin their careers in cybersecurity.
The increasing complexity and sophistication of the cyber threat landscape warrants a diverse cybersecurity workforce, yet currently, women make up just 25% of the cybersecurity workforce.
“It's so hard to get into cyber if you don’t have cyber experience,” said Camila Hidalgo, a student at Columbia University. “I had the theoretical knowledge. I have the Master’s that’s some sort of validation that I can go into this field. But, I think, for employers to see that FS-ISAC’s stamp of approval was truly a world of a difference when I was applying for jobs.”
More than 130 students have participated in this program since its launch in 2016. The winners of the 2023-24 Women in Cyber Scholarship program are:
- Amelie Artmann, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn (University of Bonn)
- Liliana Bazzell, Murray State University
- Alicia Biju, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Yanxin Chen, Carnegie Mellon University
- Arisa Chue, Stanford University
- Ashley Colegrove, University of Central Florida
- Katrina Dube, Purdue University Global
- Natalie Eckles, Champlain College
- Tia Felice, Sans Technology Institute
- Sonia Fereidooni, University of Washington
- Jaspreet Gill, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Melissa Green, Western Governors University
- Elizabeth Gutierrez, Temple University
- Rebecca Hartley, Royal Holloway, University of London
- Hannah Hatley, Brigham Young University
- Michelle Hohertz, Western Governors University
- Nya Houston, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Lamaria Kerrens, Rockford University
- Alvira Khan, Lewis University
- Brianna Lewis, Kennesaw State University
- Jennifer Lundy, University of West Georgia
- Eleni Lykopandis, La Trobe University
- Charlotte Mädler, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn (University of Bonn)
- Jyotsna Masand, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Carolyn Pearce, Boston College
- Afra Piantelli, Bocconi University and Politecnico di Milano
- Danielle Pottinger, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Mehak Sharma, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- Brianna Stewart, John Jay College
- Maria Thornton, Columbia University
The Women in Cyber Scholarship is 100% funded by FS-ISAC member firm sponsors. Beyond the financial component, winners are matched up with mentors at sponsoring firms and have the opportunity to attend an FS-ISAC Summit, which gives them exposure to a large professional network as well as a wide array of avenues for their future careers.
“It’s allowed me to focus on my Master’s degree and study for a bunch of certifications, and do what I love, which is hacking,“ said Betta Lyon Delsordo, a student at Georgia Institute of Technology. ”It’s been really cool to meet people from all over the world and learn from all the kinds of research that they’re doing. It’s given me a lot of ideas for the type of things that I want to study.”
FS-ISAC also announced the dates for the 2024-25 Women in Cyber Scholarship program. Members financial firms are invited to apply for sponsorship opportunities from September 6, 2023 through to March 17, 2024.
FS-ISAC is the member-driven, not-for-profit organization that advances cybersecurity and resilience in the global financial system, protecting the financial institutions and the people they serve. Founded in 1999, the organization’s real-time information-sharing network amplifies the intelligence, knowledge, and practices of its members for the financial sector’s collective security and defenses. Member financial firms represent $100 trillion in assets in 75 countries.
Contacts for Media